top of page

SARCOXIE RED FRONT

508 CENTER ST   |   417-548-2736   |   7 AM - 8 PM   MONDAY - SATURDAY

The mission of the Sarcoxie Red Front is to be the foremost informational, educational, and recreational resource for members of our community to enjoy. We help to satisfy our patrons by providing access to books, refreshments, and resources through a simple but classy means.

THE HISTORY OF THE RED FRONT

The Red Front Mercantile has been a contributing building to Sarcoxie’s square since the 19th century. Prior to 1878, Gilbert Schooling, a prominent Sarcoxie entrepreneur, operated a pioneer mercantile and a hotel in the frame structure situated where the Red Front is located.  As his business grew so did the need for a larger building and the Red Front was constructed. At that time, the building overshadowed the other frame structures located on the south side of the Sarcoxie Square.  The Red Front had a second floor where other rooms were available.

At the turn of the century, Schooling sold the building to two gentlemen, Salem Goodner and Henry Sabert.  Goodner was a doctor and financier and Sabert was an entrepreneur that dabbled in several business ventures in Sarcoxie. Sabert incorporated the business as the Red Front Mercantile Company and became the primary stockholder.

Martha Moore in front of Red Front (2).jpg
Martha Moore_edited.jpg

Under Sabert’s ownership, Allan and Martha Moore, brother and sister, became involved with the Red Front.  Allan owned stock and drove the delivery wagon for Sabert. Martha began working as a clerk in 1902. In 1919 the Red Front was sold to William DelaRue and later closed in 1932. Allan and Martha were convinced to come back in 1933 and reopen the Red Front Mercantile with Martha as the acting manager.​

Outside of the Red Front, Martha was active in civic affairs in Sarcoxie.  She was a member of the Commercial Club (later became the Chamber of Commerce).  She headed their committee taking steps to reconstruct the old bandstand.  She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the P.E.O. Sisterhood and a charter member of the Sarcoxie Business and Professional Women’s organization.  As a prominent businesswoman, Martha Moore was awarded the PBW “Woman of the Year” Award in 1958. 

Miss Martha standing in front of the Red Front Mercantile

Portrait of Martha Moore

Pictures and information provided by Jim Moore and the Sarcoxie Historical Center

bottom of page